Following the success of the inaugural, 1st Cyprus Safety Platform Symposium in Critical Infrastructure Protection, the Cyprus Safety Platform organises its 2nd Symposium on Man Made Catastrophes on 30th January 2013, in the Cultural Center of European University Cyprus, in Engkomi, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Dr Alan Waring, a consultant and authoritative writer on major hazard risks, will deliver the Keynote Speech.
The impact of man-made catastrophes (e.g. mega-fires, explosions, environmental contamination, infrastructure damage etc) can have wider implications on social, economic, environmental levels.
Researchers are encouraged to submit papers, posters, work-in-progress in the following areas:
- Safety management and safety culture; the formal and informal structures and processes of managing major hazards
- Major Hazards Risk assessment and risk management
- Emergency preparedness and response, roles and responsibilities with emphasis on both site operator internal plans and facilities and State managed external services and their inter-working
- Use of remote sensing & GIS before and during the catastrophe (hazards identification /monitoring/risk assessment: earthquake, floods, droughts, coastal erosion, landslides, air pollution-public health effects, coastal /inland water quality etc.)
- Large Scale evacuation modelling and experimentation
- Legislation and Funding: Mechanisms and Tools at both EU and Regional/National Levels for promoting, implementing and sustaining ‘Safety’ as well as research and innovation in the field
- Explosions and their impact on structures
- Post-mortem of catastrophes (Environmental Impact Assessment, Consequences to Biodiversity)
Participation in the Workshop is free of charge; arrangements for special prices have been made with local hotels for overseas participants.
For further information and/or to submit your papers please contact the Organising Committee
· Mr Pierantonios Papazoglou, Research Promotion Foundation
· Dr Konstantinos Katzis, European University Cyprus
· Mr Nicholas Paris, Cyprus Civil Defence Department
· Dr Tasoula Kyprianidou – Leontidou, Department of Labour Inspection
· Dr George Gregoriou, University of Nicosia
· Dr George Boustras, European University Cyprus
at and / or +357 22 713 157.
Deadline for Submission of presentations and / or posters: 31/12/2012.